Section 8 housing, also known as housing choice vouchers, are available to United States residents who do not make enough money to make rent or mortgage payments. Drafted as Section 8 of the Housing Act of 1937, housing choice vouchers are administered by local public housing authorities (otherwise known as PHAs) and supported by the Department of Housing and Urban Development.
This means your local PHA can help you arrange and apply for Section 8, but they are guided by federal funds and regulations.
Since it is a federal program, the application process can be lengthy and complicated. Oakleaf Properties is here to help applicants and residents get the aid and the homes they need. That being said, it’s always a good idea to be prepared.
Basic Eligibility Requirements
- Applicants must be a US citizen or a non-citizen with eligible immigration status.
- Annual earnings must be less than 50% of the median income for the county/city of requested residence as verified by current paystubs.
- Any additional assets will be factored into eligibility, including real property, vehicles, savings accounts, investments, etc.
- Family composition
To expedite the application process, be sure to have as many documents available as possible. This includes paystubs, residential histories, social security numbers of all family members, asset breakdown, and so forth.
Keep in mind, as part of its regulatory requirements, local PHAs must provide 75% of its vouchers to families who earn less than 30% of the local median income. This ensures that the funding from the government-funding program goes to the people who need it most. Also, while you may qualify and be eligible for housing assistance, approval is based on several factors, including availability and local county established preferences and priorities.
- WikiHow: How to Apply for Section 8 Housing
- Housing Choice Vouchers Fact Sheet by HUD
- Contact Your Local PHA
- Apply for Housing Assistance and Housing with Oakleaf
Oakleaf PM is proud to offer affordable housing options in South Dakota, Iowa & Nebraska. Click the button below to start your rental application today.